I'm up here in Alaska for more than just the adventure of living in the far north. I primarily came up here to start a graduate program in Project Management at University of Alaska Anchorage.
What's project management you ask? I've been asked this quite a bit, along with "do you mean construction management?" Project Management is found in most if not all industries. This program is broad to take into account the many different backgrounds the students come from. While I'm enjoying getting exposure to different industries, my background is in technology so that's what I'm focusing on.
UAA is a great place for this program, because Alaska is definitely a project state. This is one of the first MS in Project Management programs created and accredited, and many new programs have been modeled after the one taught here in the School of Engineering.
Due to space restrictions, my courses are taught in the University Center off campus. They've just started plans to build a new engineering building that will include the PM program, but until then, we're located in a large building that is half UAA, half mall. It's a bit of a strange set up, but has its advantages. Not having to pay for parking is certainly a plus! The UAA section is nice - in addition to classrooms, there is a small bookstore, a coffee cafe, the One Stop desk, registrar, etc. It's also great for multi-tasking. Go to class and buy a recliner all at the same time!
 |
| Hard to see, but it says UAA Project Management to the right of La-z-boy |
 |
Leaving the UAA section and entering the mall. (PM department on left and La-Z-Boy gallery on right) |
 |
| UAA hallway |
I'm taking three courses this semester: Project Management Fundamentals, Application of PM Processes, and Project Communications. It's a good amount of coursework - enough to keep me busy but to leave me enough time to enjoy Alaska and to work part time as well. As I get back into the groove of being a student, I'm trying to kick my procrastinator ways. Studying at home can be difficult with all the distractions, so often I make my way over to the coffee shop.
 |
| Toby doesn't want me to study |
Anchorage seems to be fond of the drive-up shack style of coffee shops vs. the corner coffee shop you usually see in most towns/cities. Luckily though, there is a place a short drive away - Kaladi Brothers Coffee. Kaladi's seems to be the Starbucks of Anchorage. A hot latte or mocha, a table to set up shop, and I'm ready to go!
Well, at least you don't have to go far to go shopping!
ReplyDeleteAJ