After waiting for the snow to come for what seemed like a long time, it finally did, and it hasn't stopped much since. I had been feeling a bit cheated that both Colorado and Delaware got snow before we did here in Anchorage (I mean, come on - it's Alaska!) but knew I shouldn't be in too much of a rush since by the end of the winter I probably won't be able to wait for it all to melt and go away.
 |
| Sunrise view from my apartment |
 |
| Snow tires were probably a good idea |
 |
| Stunted evergreens along the skiing trail |
Since I've already given up on the running phase (we all knew that wouldn't last long), I've been excited to start cross country skiing. It was definitely one of the things I was looking forward to the most when I moved up here, and the nice thing about Anchorage is that it is so very accessible. There are tons of trails that the muni and the nordic skiing association groom, and many of them are lighted as well - so even in the short winter days you can still get out there. It took me a little longer than I expected to start skiing, mostly because I had to convince myself that I rather write a paper on effective communication in virtual teams than get outside. I was never convinced (who are we kidding!) but I was successful in waiting until it was done. I've only gone out a few times, but it has definitely been a ton of fun each time. To be sure, I'm pretty pathetic at it, but all that matters is that I'm getting out there and having fun, right?
 |
| Beautiful view while skiing |
 |
| The alpen glow in the evening |
I've been told by a few Alaskans that this month has been much colder and snowier than usual. I did joke that when I was looking into moving up here, all the tourists sites, etc. said that the average temperature in the winter was in the 20s. That didn't sound too bad at all to me, but most days have been either in the negatives or the single digits here in November. Luckily, all I really expected was it to be super cold and super snowy, so it hasn't felt bad to me. Also luckily, I don't need to spend much time outside other than to get to the car (and clear the snow off). And, xc skiing may be the quickest way to work up a sweat in single digit weather.
The darkness hasn't been terrible for me yet either. We'll see how I feel about that in January and February though...
 |
| Out enjoying skiing on a blue sky day |
 |
| The musher trails that go under the multi-use path I ski on |
Pretty pictures Kate! I like the paths through the trees. - Jen
ReplyDelete